Sunday 25 September 2011

Same old Same old

It has been a little while since I have updated my blog. There are two reasons for that. The first is that nothing has really changed and the second is that my energy levels are extremely low so it is hard work to do this. At the moment I am lying on my bed with my iPad on my lap typing this up.
The fevers are a daily occurrence now. They come on around 4pm and last through to about 9am. In between those times I swing from being very cold to very hot. Some are much worse than others and I am getting better at controlling the huge temperature fluctuations that I feel. This is all very draining and I find myself very fatigued. I manage to get up for meals (dinner being the hardest one) but don't spend too much other time up. If the weather is nice I sit on the deck for lunch, but I cannot remember the last time I went for any sort of walk and left the property. I am sleeping several times a day - about on a three hour cycle from the end of one sleep to the beginning of the next.
Today I hope to have enough energy to watch the Fiji vz Samoa game. I could only manage half the game last night, and have not watched many others as it is too hard to sit up for that length of time.
So things are not the best at the moment, but it has to be this way. My body is both responding to the medication but also fighting hard to overcome the massive assault it is undergoing.
I have pulled back from having any visitors, except some close family, because I need to rest so much. That will change but in the meantime I thank people for their understanding in this regard.

7 Comments:

At 25 September 2011 at 11:08 , Blogger Margot Gerritsen said...

Hang in there, Andrew. And many thanks for posting the updates. We're thinking of you, Margot & Callum (and Dave)

 
At 25 September 2011 at 17:19 , Anonymous Caitlyn Lee said...

Kia kaha Andrew. I will be up to Auckland soon (driving up on Wednesday) and staying for a few days, and will be missing you so as to give you space and time with those close to you. Thinking of you and praying for you. I will catchup with people from my Esci class when I am up, we are all behind you. Caitlyn

 
At 29 September 2011 at 01:00 , Blogger Andrew Mason said...

Andrew: Thanks for the continuing updates which we read regularly. I hope this leg of your journey is not too long and not too bumpy. As always, our thoughts are with all of you. Take care. Andrew, Catherine, Daisy, Ben and Constance.

 
At 29 September 2011 at 08:59 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew

Still very much missed by staff and students in the Department.

It was poster upload day. I must have sent out at least 200 messages saying that this is a hard deadline, and for them to double check their uploads. One guy uploaded the project guidelines document. Beggars belief.

Anyway, it's the dinner next Friday. You get a by for this one, but definitely not next year's.

Richard

 
At 6 October 2011 at 17:03 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew,

I'm writing to let you know that I follow your blog over here in America. I am humbled by how you are coping with your pain and change in energy levels. I know I was never properly part of the department, but I was always and continue to be impressed (and a bit intimidated) by you and your amazing-ness, and I hope my hardest that this difficult part of the recovery process will ease up soon.

best best best wishes,
Alex Toumar

 
At 6 October 2011 at 17:13 , Anonymous Andy Philpott said...

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the blog updates. We all are keen for you to rest and work on your recovery. I cannot imagine anyone else having as much fortitude as you are displaying.

We just finished the Year 4 project orals, and missed your presence. As Rich said, next year you won't escape.

Best, Andy.

 
At 17 October 2011 at 20:10 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us in these difficult times that you are going through. I am confident you are in great hands and will come out of this pain very soon.

My prayers and thoughts are always with you. Keep up this spirit.

Best,
Nirukta

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home